Milwaukee, WI Bicycle Accident Lawyers
For many enthusiasts, riding a bicycle is more than just an enjoyable way to travel. Bicycling provides riders with health benefits, saves money that would otherwise be spent on gas and vehicle maintenance, and is good for the environment. However, there are risks that come with this activity. Bicyclists must share the road with much larger vehicles, including cars and trucks. When collisions occur, the injuries suffered by bicyclists are often traumatic. These injuries can also have a substantial financial impact on a victim’s life. It is crucial for victims of bicycle accidents to seek legal guidance immediately after a crash.
Major Risk Factors for Bicycle Accidents
While there are many different causes of bicycle accidents, these collisions do have some factors in common. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Center for Statistics and Analysis, the following are some of the most significant risk factors relating to bicycle accidents:
- Adult males are at highest risk for suffering fatal injuries resulting from bicycle accidents. Males over age 20 represent the majority of bicycle accident fatalities.
- Bicyclists who use alcohol before riding their bikes are increasing the risk of being involved in a crash. In approximately 20% of all fatal bicycle accidents, alcohol use above the legal limit was involved in the crash.
- Bicyclists who fail to wear helmets increase their risk of suffering brain injuries, which represent a high number of overall cycling fatalities. In 2013, two-thirds of cycling fatalities were caused by head injuries. In addition, 63% of bicycle accident fatalities involved riders who were not wearing helmets.
- Riding a bicycle during summer, at night, in urban areas, and on major roads other than interstates and freeways increases your odds of a crash. In 2013, statistics show that the most cycling fatalities occurred in the month of June, between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Understanding the risk factors relating to this potentially fatal type of accident is crucial to your safety.
Unfortunately, for many bicyclists, this information may not be discovered until after an accident has already occurred. The good news for injured victims, however, is that our Milwaukee bike injury lawyers are here to help. We encourage you to call our Milwaukee office at 414-778-0700 or toll-free at 888-357-7661 for more information.
Bike Accident Case Results
- $135,000 settlement in a bike / car accident
- See more case results