Employer Obligations to Prevent Tractor Accidents from Bypass Starting
What are the obligations of an employer to prevent tractor bypass starting injuries? The following is an overview:
- Educate the equipment operators of the dangers of bypass starting.
- Train employees to prevent bypass starting injuries.
- Impose and enforce rules against bypass starting.
- Place warning decals provided by tractor dealers on the equipment.
Employee Obligations to Prevent Tractor Accidents from Bypass Starting
Employees also have an obligation to prevent tractor bypass starting injuries. These obligations include the following:
- Never start or operate farming equipment unless you have been properly trained to use it safely.
- Never start a tractor unless you are securely seated in the operator’s position. Do not attempt to bypass start the tractor even if it will save you a few seconds.
- Always wear a seat belt when operating a tractor and operate within the framework of the rollover protective structure.
- Never bypass start the tractor from the ground.
- Always ensure that the parking brake is on and the transmission is in park or neutral before starting the equipment.
- Ensure that no one is standing near the equipment before starting it.
If you were injured by a tractor, you may be entitled to compensation. To learn more, we encourage you to contact our experienced farming accident lawyers today at 877-959-2760.